To Upgrade...or not?Well, I finally got around to working on the server upgrades (to Fedora Core 1) at home here...only to discover something peculiar:
They won't upgrade!
First off, the older box has a difficult time booting from CD as I 'discovered' today. I'm assuming that it's a BIOS problem, since the drive itself isn't that old. The curious part is that it hasn't had this problem before...so I was beginning to wonder if perhaps there was an underlying media issue (or something of that nature).
Anyway, I decided to skip that box and go to the other; the idea being I could copy the images to disk and do an upgrade directly from disk (instead of via CD)...but I would do the second server before. So, it boots into the setup procedure nicely and does a bunch of stuff...until I get an error about a file (on the CD). As it turns out, the media itself is bad -- two of the three (are confirmed) to have issues on their surfaces which are causing the errors. This I find particularly interesting since I used them in the server reinstallation at work a few weeks ago.
So, I decided to put that project off for just a bit longer. While I don't like the idea, I don't have much of a choice right now aside from downloading new CD images. And since they've released Fedora Core 2, I'll probably just download those images and re-run the upgrade with them.
I also took today (Saturday) to work on some of the backend conversion. Fortunately, this only took a few hours (the look changes are quite simple) due to the fact that the backend is mostly PHP and has very little HTML embedded within. It was, however, a good time to go through and do some error checking, bugfixing, and general cleaning.
I didn't complete the backend work -- there's still more to be done (although mostly in fine-tuning the appearance), but something which shouldn't take longer than a day.
This post was upgraded to the MZ Online Blog on 8/25/07