A Busy Month!Well, it's been nearly a month since the last post I've made here; much has taken place in that time. Of course, I'm not going to cover it all...but I'll certainly try.
So, beginning that afternoon we began the moving process -- something which wasn't easy by any means...purely based upon all of our stuff. This process took about a week and a half, each day taking with us at least two carloads of stuff. July 10 (Saturday) was the "big stuff" day and included the piano, couch, etc. Things moved relatively well and the process of moving in a two-week period has allowed us to at least filter/sort stuff as it came in...
The house thing is going well at this point in time. Of course, between unpacking and everything else related to the house, we've kept busy.
There are some other things on the fire as well, some of which seem more promising than others...but it's a way to keep busy nonetheless.
Unbeknownst to me, with the introduction of the self-hosting satellite modem...it's configured automatically to do NAT and DHCP (essentially some of the things that my network servers were doing already). There is no way to shut these off that I've found...which is okay. BUT, another problem is that the modem is permanently configured to use my existing subnet...which is a worse problem to deal with.
So, while it took a few days to get worked out properly, I migrated the internal network to a new subnet. Since the modem doesn't firewall anything...in order to properly bridge the connections without odd side effects (and to maintain a firewall), it was necessary to change subnets. I'm happy to report that this change, while major, has gone fairly well and things are in relative working order.
That is, minus internal DNS and NTP (time synchronization) service. The NTP thing I can live without until I take time to tinker more (that took the longest to get properly working the last time)...but the internal DNS thing I miss quite a bit. While those nets have been changed and reflected in the DNS tables I maintain locally, for some reason (I haven't yet had enough time or patience to seriously hash it out) when I try to do lookups locally, I get SERVFAIL messages.
It works for the internal networks, but the minute a request is forwarded or looked up directly for the Internet, it fails. The firewall has been adjusted appropriately and shouldn't be causing any problems...but as I stated before, I haven't had enough time to really go through line-by-line to figure out what the hell the problem really is. So, in the meantime...I've changed the internal DHCP to use the regular ISP-provided DNS server so at least regular Internet service works. It just means I have to use the IP addresses directly in local communications...which sucks once you've been used to it the DNS way.
Anyway, I have to say that the satellite service really books it...way the hell faster than my old 128k connection at the apartment. Our average transfer rate is somewhere between 750k and 1250k (it averages about 1MB)...depending upon where we're going and what we're doing. Of course, the primary disadvantage to the satellite link is the latency (1/4 second each way -- 1/2 second each request)...which is apparent when working in terminal-land or when making lots of remote CVS requests to work...but for web browsing and the other regular Internet stuff it works great!
Until next time...
This post was upgraded to the MZ Online Blog on 8/25/07