You Hear This, Rabbit
She grabbed the bunny by the foot and swung it around.
I've been meaning to write some random stuff for at least the last week, but it always seems as though I get too tired to write (and it gets too late)...so Mr. Procrastination comes to visit. At any rate, things have been busy and I won't be writing very much tonight (see above about tired and late).
A few weekends ago we went to my folks' place. Good times were had, and I managed to get some really cool pictures of bald eagles. That was pretty cool. Especially since once the trees bud out (and get leaves) it will be much more difficult to photograph them. So that's cool.
Short of that it's been pretty normal and things have been fairly busy. We got a foot of snow last weekend (not so good times), but as of yesterday afternoon it was all but gone (more so a good time). And speaking of precipitation...
I finally plugged in the sump pump for operation, seeing as how the water level finally made it high enough. I'd been keeping track of the basin water level (remember this is not a normal basin in that it's designed to let water seep into it, not contain water from other sources) as the water table fluctuates for about the last three weeks or so. Until last weekend's snowfall, the water level really didn't fluctuate all that much (about a quarter to half inch per day). But in the last week the water level would rise by about an inch per day.
Until Wednesday. When I got home the water level was around 16 inches, so I decided to give it a whirl. Pump pumps, water level goes down, and (at the rate of anywhere between 1-2 inches per hour) rises and the cycle repeats itself. This is a good thing, and I'm glad it seems to be working so far. The seepage into the basin is at a rate I'd expect given my recollections of about how much water would be seeping through the floor cracks due to hydraulic pressure from previous years.
So, if all goes well this experiment and installation will relieve enough of the hydraulic pressure that water will not seep up through the cracks in the floor or, if water does start to seep up, will minimize the effects. Time will tell, but so far so good. It's pumping out roughly thirty gallons of water each cycle, so far running about four cycles per day.
So that's basically been what I've been monitoring here for the last few days. It's neat to see something that required a lot of work and patience to complete finally being used. And seeming to work so far.
And with that said, I think I'm heading for bed. So until next time (I'll try to be better about that)...
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
- H. G. Wells (1866-1946)