Watching The Crowd
Koshka was watching all of us walk around in the yard after giving her a little bit of attention.
I had great intentions tonight to write something complex and insightful, but then got caught up in another project and reading the local paper. So that kinda put a damper on my writing activity tonight.
I will, however, share a few random bits about the last few days. Amongst other things, I made my first ever presentable Flash 'presentation' today. It's part of a 'virtual tour' thing I'm working on, and I have to say that as I'm getting more familiar with the application, it's getting a bit easier to work with. Due to how it is going to function ultimately, I had a bit of a time getting the layer and timeline thing through my head (I'm used to application development, where things are layered, but not layered and linear. Or something like that.
At any rate, there's a lot of work to be done with it (and it will likely evolve over time), but it shows promise and should be pretty cool when 'complete.'
I had to 'fix' the washing machine tonight. I noticed the other day when Beth did a load of laundry that it seemed to always be 'running' and not making any progress. When I checked into it further, I noticed that it was 'stuck' in the rinse cycle, and always draining while filling. I figured it to be a fluke, forced the machine into spin, and the problem went away.
Until this evening. It wouldn't fill. Well, it would try to fill, but then would start emptying and never get to the point of triggering the pressure switch to shut off the water.
Long story short, after taking the control panel off and making sure everything looked right (and also referencing the control wiring diagram to see how I could bypass the pressure switch if necessary), I discovered the problem. The washer wasn't pumping out water; it was simply flowing out on its own accord.
It turns out that the drain hose wasn't up high enough after I'd moved the washer back last weekend after painting. Due to where I was working and how I was cleaning up things, I removed the old duct tape fastener that held the drain hose in the right position. I didn't put it back in the same exact position and, as it turned out, only had to raise it about two inches to make everything work just fine again.
So I fashioned a new (temporary) mechanism to hold the drain hose in the right position. I'd intended (once this painting business is done) to make a nice, clean-looking drain mechanism for everything in that area (water softener, washer, etc.), which is why I didn't re-create the old fastener when I moved the washer back to its position. C'est la vie, I guess. At least I know I don't need to buy a new washing machine.
And in other random bits, I read this little tidbit of information about an experiment done to see what happens when all of those spam messages and pop-ups are clicked on and responded to. It's not really all that surprising to me, but it's a good and fairly general read (for non-techie consumption) illustrating the sort of issues that really do pop up if one's not careful on the big bad Internet.
So I'll leave it at that. Until next time...
"Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called 'Ego'."
- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)